Saturday, March 13, 2010

Tomorrow's Talent- Poetry

Sarah Myanda




Wings Of Art had the pleasure in interviewing the lovely Sarah Myanda, the b-ball poet. Yes guys! She has b-ball and lyrical skills. 

Sarah is orignally from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, but came to NY at the age of 8. She found her love with Spalding, which lead her to earn a basketball scholarship to Stony Brook University. She will be graduating this May in receiving a Bachelors in Journalism in becoming a broadcast sports journalist.   

Check out my interview with Sarah:

1How or when did you discover your craft (poetry)?

I've been writing poetry since I could understand the power of words. My mother kind of forced my siblings and I into developing a love for reading and writing, saying that it would help us learn English quicker and do better in the classroom. That led to me writing my own short stories and eventually writing poems.  I wrote my first real poem in seventh grade I think. It was about some boy I was crushing on at the time, lol. I'm not really an artist or a poet, I just write. 



2. What kind of topics/issues do you talk about in your poems?

I write about things I feel, either directly or indirectly. I've written pieces on love, Africa, abortion, heartache, bliss, trust and a bunch of other things. If an emotion arises when a certain topic is discussed, then it's something to write about. Anything can trigger a poem.

3. How has poetry help you in your life?

It has given me a means of self expression. Where I'm from, it's easy to turn to the natural vices, like sex, drugs and violence. I just pick up a pen and write my heart out. It's therapy.



4. What's a saying, motto, or phrase you live by?

Too many come to mind, but definitely 2 Corinthians 9:6. You get out what you put in. Always. Hard work pays off.

5. If you could predict 5 or 10 years from now. Where do you or would like to see ART- whether it's poetry, painting, dancing, etc?


I want it accessible to anyone that seeks it. It shouldn't be limited to those who can afford it, or have the time and resources to invest in it. Art programs are being cut all across the board. With the economy's current state, the problem is worsening. I just want people who crave art to be able to get it, regardless of their social standing or other factors. I also want it be be as valued as math or science, instead of being classified as an extracurricular activity or a luxury. For kids growing up in this day and age, I definitely think art, in any form, is extremely important. I should be treated as such.







6. What would you say to the shy/quiet boy or girl out there, whose afraid to pursue their DREAMS?
Believe in your vision. Hope trumps fear. Develop a plan and chase your dreams like the alarm clock went off too soon. Seek advice. Be willing to learn and work extremely hard. Don't let your fear keep you from doing something your're passionate about.
7. What does the future hold for Sarah? 



ESPN. My ultimate goal is to work for ESPN, either as a producer or a general assignment reporter. It fuses my two loves, journalism and sports. I'll be in grad school in the fall, pursuing a M.A. in Journalism. We'll see where I go from there. As far as poetry goes, I'll keep writing and performing on welcoming stages. 



WOA thanks Sarah for taking the time out to be interviewed and I hope you guys appreciate her story, but I couldn't let you leave without hearing some knowledge from her.

Here's Sarah with her poem "Literature":




1 comment: