Saturday, January 30, 2010

Tomorrow's Talent- Fashion

Michelle B. 


I was fortunate to interview an up and coming fashion designer named Michelle from Jamaica, Queens. Currently, Michelle is a Senior at Philadelphia University, majoring in Fashion Design.

Check out my interview with Michelle:



1. How did you know fashion was the way for you?
I became interested in fashion when I was a sophomore in high school. I always loved to draw and experiment with different mediums for creating art. At first, I just loved to shop and dress up on the dress down days my high school held every once a month.  During my junior year I took a high school non credit courses at the Fashion Institute of Technology. This was when I first learned how to sew. Sewing at first was a difficult task, but I got used to it and learned that designers have to appreciate the way things are made in order to create them. After learning how to sew and draw, I fell in love with the artistic and creative element fashion has on the way people dress and present themselves. It was then that I wanted to pursue this for a living. In all, I couldn’t picture myself taking up anything else other than fashion design. 




2. What inspires your designs?

Music. I can truly admit that I am a music junkie. I love everything from old school hip hop to popular classical pieces. I would often listen to a song, and in my head it would create a mood, a place, a setting, and in fashion, clothes can relate to the way we feel, just like music. Whenever I design anything, I always come up with a concept, which is a visual interpretation of my inspiration. I have many concepts that derived from songs and movies, which are the two things I love most. Every time I draw and sew, I always need music to keep me going.

3. Was it easy for you to take the fashion route, even though some people think the industry is a hit or miss? Who supported you?

No, it was far from easy for me. In getting through the fashion design program at Philadelphia University was a very arduous journey. I have seen many strive and I have seen some fail. Many people have doubted me, and told me negative things about the industry, but through the support of my mother, sister, and truthful friends, I was able to reach where I stand today.
From my perspective, fashion is not always a “hit or miss” industry. There are so many opportunities to becoming successful in the fashion industry. One can design clothes for a big name company or start out with a small local business. I also know many people who have taken up the opportunity to start their own business, and sell their designs online, at a boutique, or make custom garments from their home. The fashion industry also has many fields to choose from, such men’s and women’s wear, children’s wear, lingerie and many other fields. In order for me to find my route in fashion, I had to ask myself “What kind of designer are you?” I later discovered that I have a taste for the contemporary juniors market; delivering something new to urban fashion. 


4. What's art to you?
 Art is the expression of one’s inner feelings, personality, and the world we live in today. Art is a short word that can be expressed in many different ways, such as poetry, painting, sculpture, music, dance, clothing, and even the way people communicate can be considered a form of art. As a designer, I look at fashion as a form of art people can wear daily. Everything from graphic tees to haute couture gowns is art. If it wasn’t for art, fashion would be very generic and non distinctive. In the world we live in today, we are surrounded by art on a daily basis, everything from company logos to the one dollar bill are artistic expressions.



5How did you meet Tim Gunn (Project Runway) and did meeting him change your perspective of the fashion industry?

I met him at an event my internship was having in the summer (2009). He gave a speech on how he looked at the fashion industry and how he achieved the position he holds today. Meeting him motivated me to become a better designer, and to never give up on my dream of becoming a designer. He also encouraged me and other aspiring designers to stay true to ourselves and have fun in the industry, and to take risks and know that risk taking is what makes us better designers. He also told me that in order for me to make the best of my internship I have to be like a sponge and absorb everything you learn and what is given to you. 

6. Where do you see yourself and your fashion 5 or 10 years from now?

Five to ten years from now, I can picture myself aspiring to own a boutique. Before I pursue this goal, I would want to have some experience on the business side of the fashion industry, since I am more in touch with the design side of it. I always wanted to open a boutique, because, having my own business would be a great way for people to see how I express myself through fashion/clothing as a form of art, and not just as something people wear everyday. I also love to dress people and make people feel great about themselves through the way they dress. I can also picture myself being a stylist, by empowering the self esteem of young men and women through fashion.

7. What would you like to say to the young inspiring fashion designers who are skeptical to enter this industry?

Be confident and self motivated in everything you do. In life, confidence is key, because through confidence, no one can tell you what you can't do. When I wanted to become a fashion designer, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I have come across times when I felt this industry was not for me, but I had a true passion for fashion and through hard work, great work ethic and determination, I learned that I can achieve anything my heart desires. Again, be confident, and ask yourself, “Is this industry for me”? The fashion industry is not for everyone, unfortunately. However, one must be great at taking criticism, develop a tough skin, and know what he/she wants when coming into the field. The industry is intimidating, but it is not impossible.









1 comment:

  1. This red dress is amazing! I would love to shoot these designs.

    ReplyDelete